Pneumatic Conveying of Baghouse & ESP Filter Dusts
Dust collection systems, baghouse filters and ESP systems are used to remove dust from production lines. Collected dust is discharged from the bottom hopper of dust collectors and sent to containers, trucks and / or silos. Dust discharge and conveying is handled by different types of conveyors. Pneumatic conveying systems provide reliable and safe handling of filter dusts. Mechanical malfunctions caused by screw conveyors, scrapers, bucket elevators, chain gears and similar mechanical conveying equipment are prevented.
Features of Pneumatic Dust Conveying Systems
Pneumatic conveying system transfers the collected dust from filter or cyclone hopper to silo. Rotary valves are installed below each bag filter hopper. A pneumatic conveying pipeline is installed below rotary valves and collects the dust coming from hoppers. Pressurized supplied from roots type blower is used to transport the dust to the silo through the pipeline. A reverse jet pulse filter is installed above the silo to discharge the pressurized air and keep the conveyed dust inside the silo. Depending on configuration several bag filters, dust collectors can be connected to same pneumatic transport line. System can be designed to run by pressurized air or vacuum air.
Components of Dust Conveying System
Used to supply pressurized or vacuum air needed for pneumatic conveying system.
Rotary Valve / Rotary Airlock:
Used to discharge the dust from filter hopper to conveying line. It also prevents some amount of pressurized air to move inside the filter hopper.
Used for controlling whole system. PLC , relays, frequency inverters etc are included in electrical control panel of pneumatic filter dust conveying system
Pneumatic Conveying Pipeline:
Used to transfer the filter dust. Depending on the conveying capacity, pipeline diameter varies generally between 3” -5”.
Silo Top Jet Filter:
Jet filter is used to vent pneumatically filled silo, keeps the dust inside of the silo and lets the pneumatic conveying air to leave it.
Telescopic Truck Loading Spout:
Telescopic loading spout also known as loading chutes are used to automatically discharge the contents of silo into open trucks or tanker trucks without any dust emmission.
Advantages of Pneumatic Dust Conveying Systems
- Pipeline can pass through anywhere, it is easier to install the system in tight spaces.
- Filter dust can be conveyed to long distances.
- Pneumatic transport system takes less space with respect to mechanical conveying systems inside the plant.
- AS the filter dust is conveyed within the pipeline, there is no risk for dust emmission through moving mechanical parts.
- There exist low number of rotating or moving equipment. Low risk of malfunctions, unintended stops.
- Maintenance cost of pneumatic conveying systems is generally less than mechanical conveying systems.
Tanker / Truck Loading Spout
Tanker and open truck loading bellows are also known as loading chute and loading spout. Open truck and tanker loading bellows are used for safe and efficient dust free loading of dry bulk solids to tankers and open trucks. As baghouse filter and ESP filter dust have very small particle size, silo discahrging and truck loading should be done by loading bellows to prevent any dust emmission to the environment.
Application Examples of Filter Dust Conveying Systems
- Iron and steel plants, blast furnace dedusting systems
- Electrostatic Precipitators (ESP) of coal-fired power plants
- Baghouse filters of iron foundries
- Dust collectors of the food industry
- Dust collectors of chemical industry